- 108 students in English 9A, representing 39.7% of the population tested, completed the survey, while 137 students in English 9B and 27 students in English 9B Team did the same.
- Percentile scores on the Nelson-Denny in Vocabulary for 9A students ranged from 38 to 99, with the mean percentile settling on 86.1. For comprehension, the range was 24 to 99, with the mean being 79.9. Finally, the range for Total Reading was 29 to 99 and the average was 84.1.
- Percentile scores for 9B students in Vocabulary were in the range of 4 to 99, with the mean being 62. For Comprehension, the range of scores fell between 6 and 99 and the mean percentile was 56.3. The Total Reading range was 6 to 99, with the mean being 59.6.
- for the 9B team population, the range in Vocabulary was 7 to 82 (mean=43), 10 to 57 in Comprehension (mean=31), and 16 to 70 in total Reading (mean=36).
- 99% of the students in 9A earned at least a 64 (goal for incoming ninth-graders) on the 8th-grade Connecticut Mastery Test (CMT) Degrees of Reading Power (DRP) - the DRP average for this group was 84 - while 69% of B-level students (for whom scores were available) reached at least the benchmark DRP of 64.
For more on what the trend with reading looks like in this country over the past several years, head over to Learning Matters (http://eosguidancematters.blogspot.com/) for a summary on "Reading at Risk" conducted by the Census Bureau in 2002 at the request of the National Endowment for the Arts.